Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Vicious Lizard Hunter

Dont let this pretty face fool you! She is a true Huntress.
Determined, patient and ruthless!
I know you think, "Theres no way she could ever be ruthless."
But she was a born hunter.

Wikipedia -
"The dachshund is a short-legged, elongated dog breed, of the hound family. The standard size was developed to scent, chase, and flush badgers and other burrow-dwelling animals, while the miniature was developed to hunt smaller prey, like rabbits. In the American West, they have also been used to hunt prairie dogs."
"Dachshunds are playful, but can be stubborn, and are known for their propensity for chasing small animals, birds, and tennis balls with great determination and ferocity."
Below you can see her honing her skills on her toy duck.
She how she grabs it by the neck and then she viciously flings it around.
Now she has never done this to a real duck. Her favorite prey is LIZARDS!!!!!
After more then an hour of digging and sniffing and calling (the whimper/bark she makes when she knows she has something cornered). She got him!
I was there by the bush when I saw her run after the lizard as he tried to escape but he was no match for her skill. She got him by the head and flung him around. I heard a thunk as the body hit the drain pipe under the bushes. I also heard her gag on the head and spit it out.
(disguisting I know, but hey she eats poop, dont hold it against her but dont let her lick you)
She came out from the bushes soooo PROUD!!
"Did you see I got IT!!!!!"
Yummy huh!!
He was a pretty good size too!Here she is after the fact. If this was a video you would see how fast she was moving.
"I know there's more in there, I can smell them!"
"I know there's more! I know it! I can get another one! I know theres more!"
"Come out Come out!!! I've got all night!""Never mind I'll just dig you out too!!!!"
After watching her frantically scurrying around for about 5 minutes, I lifted the drain stone and crossed my fingers that there really weren't anymore.
Man She must've sat there for a good 3-4 minutes sniffing that thing. I figured after all the work she went through to get that lizard I would hold the stone up for as long as she wanted.
She's such a funny dog.
I couldnt believe how long she worked to get that lizard.
Silly Dog!
But really I couldnt ask for a better dog. She really is the greatest.